Sunday, July 4, 2010

FREEDOM




Sometimes Freedom can be bought
Sometimes sold
Freedom is often taken for granted
And held more dear to the old
I stop to think about my Freedom today
It's the Fourth of July - I hear the children play
When I was a little girl I was free
Now this means so much more to me
In some countries I wouldn't be able to sing my music
In others I'd have to cover my face
Sometimes I curse our leaders and dream of moving to another place
But when I sit with myself and think of what true Freedom we have
There's no other place that I'd rather stand
Land of the Free, home of the brave
For Today and everyday the American Flag I wave








4 comments:

Brenda Jackson said...

I love this poem Alisa.

Sandra Winters said...

This is great. You are very talented girl.

Marissa said...

"Today and everyday the American Flag I wave"

If you have to phrase a line like Yoda to make it rhyme, it's not worth it! There is more to poetry than rhyming! This poem has no metre. How can you be a musician and write something so entirely devoid of rhythm?

Dave D. Miller said...

Yeah... Marissa obviously has never read Shakespeare, Keats, or Poe.

The greatest freedom isn't screwing around, doing whatever we want to do. The greatest freedom is being free to sacrifice, so others can enjoy theirs. It's freedom, it's an obligation, it's heroism at it's finest. "Greater love hath none than this: that he lay down his life for his friends." When you have something you can give, and you can choose to give it up... that's freedom.